Monday, January 10, 2011

Beef Stroganoff

Growing up I was definitely a picky eater.  As I have gotten older and wiser I might add I am more willing to try new things and quite enjoy cooking and experimenting.  One thing I remember my mother making that I didn't really care for much but I love now is Beef Stroganoff.  I've combined a couple of different recipes to come up with my stroganoff that I enjoy the most so I thought I would share it.
(and I was making it for dinner tonight) 
 
Ingredients
1 1/2 lbs of steak, (round, beef stew, sirloin) cut into strips
salt and pepper and garlic powder
flour
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 large sweet onion, sliced (walla walla are my favorite)
1 cup of beef broth
1 can 10 3/4 oz. of cream of mushroom soup
1 cup of sour cream
egg noodles

Take your meat cut up into strips and add salt, pepper and about 1 tsp. of garlic powder - basically season it as much as you prefer.   I used sirloin steak since I had some in the freezer that needed to be used and my grill is covered in snow so I didn't feel like grilling it. 
 
Then sprinkle it with enough flour to lightly coat it.   Then heat up the butter and olive oil in a pan and add the meat.  Cook just enough to brown the meat on both sides.  


Remove meat and put into a crockpot or on another plate if you are in a hurry and not planning on cooking it all day.  Then add the onions right to the pan with the drippings.  If my husband at all like mushrooms I would also be adding some sliced up mushrooms but since he despises them I leave them out.  I have at times cooked some up and then added them only to my dish at the end but I didn't have any in the refrigerator since he cringes at even the thought of them by his other food.  


When the onions are just starting to get softened and cooked a little sprinkle about 1 Tbsp. of flour in the pan with them and then either add them to the crockpot or add the meat back to the pan with them.  Next add the beef broth and cream of mushroom soup to the meat mixture in either the pan or crockpot.  


In the crockpot I cook it on low for 6 hours.  On the stove in the pan cook on low for about 30 minutes.  Add the sour cream and cook on low for another hour in the crockpot or just long enough for it to heat up on the stove top.   


 Serve over the egg noodles, already cooked according to the package.  I usually make homemade pasta noodles for this but since I am moving and have dried pasta I need to use up I ended up using it with some macaroni.  












1 comment: