Friday, April 22, 2011

Learning something new

If you have been reading my posts than you know that lately I have been sewing more.  Today I worked on another project for my daughter, girls' clothes are a lot cuter than boys clothes.  I bought this material in January planning on being able to make two shirts and two pants but I happened to have enough leftover to work on a dress.


















I wanted to try something new with this project and this shirt happened to use a technique called shirring.  Having never done it I was a little worried but wanted to try.  I liked being able to use different technique and this replaces the gathering that at times is too tedious.  I might have gone overboard with it though. 
Around the skirt

works as an empire waist band

around the neckline

on the sleeves

The reason I may have been a little overboard is because this particular pattern was only for a shirt, however my daughter did not want just a shirt she wanted a dress.  This little girl has very strong opinions about her wardrobe already and if she does not like something she will not wear it.  SO I also tried something new in changing the pattern a bit so instead of a shirt and skirt I combined them into one dress.
wanted to show her braids also, did an under braid on each side

I think it turned out pretty cute and while the next time I would change things a bit I quite enjoyed learning about shirring and also how to adjust things while I am sewing instead of following a pattern exactly.  Tell me what you think. 

No comments:

Post a Comment