Thursday, February 10, 2011

Air and Space Museum



After being in the Washington DC area for almost two weeks I decided to venture out and go in the city to take the kiddies to the Air and Space museum.  Craig was working downtown that day and would possibly be able to meet me for lunch and help with the kids at the museum.  A very nice thing about DC is that a lot of the museums are free to go to, so even if I was only able to spend an hour or so at the museum with the kiddies I wouldn't feel too bad about paying to get in.  However getting into downtown is the crazy part.  Luckily Craig had been downtown before so he was able to give me information on how to do it.  The best way to go into downtown is by riding the metro, another nice thing is that the two kiddies are free to ride with metro with one paying adult.  The nearest metro station to our apartment is about 20 miles away and about 30-40 minutes with little traffic or an hour and a half at peak traffic time.  So not wanting to go during rush hour I waited to leave about 9:30 in the morning.  About halfway to the station I remember that I left my camera on the table at the apartment, I really needed it as evidence I ventured out in case it was the only time I dared do so.  Well I arrived at the station only to find that entire parking garage was full, I discovered this after driving around every level for about 30 minutes.  After I was exiting they decided to put the sign up saying the lot was full.  I found a nice attendant that told me the next station lot would be full also but the one after that had additional parking at the University and to try that station.  As I was pulled over looking at my map of how to get to that station is when my daughter found it the appropriate time to inform me a bathroom was needed.  Traveling with kids is so fun sometimes.  Luckily it was only a 5 minute drive to that station and there happened to be a grocery store nearby.  The nice thing about this stop though was I was able to buy a card that you can put money on for the metro and parking and you don't have to worry about how much fare and buying a ticket when you get to the station.  After the bathroom and a treat, of course, and buying the card we found the station and with that lot being full the additional parking at the University.  With my luck the train was arriving just as we were entering the station so I was trying to hurry and get through the gate which is a little tricky with getting two kids in with you all with the one swipe of the card.  We managed to do so and run down the escalator to catch the train just as the doors were closing.  The kiddies loved riding the train and were being very good and I was thinking I could handle this.  Then a lady came and sat by us, saw me with the two kiddies and mentioned how brave I was.  I panicked for a second but knew that life was an adventure and this would end up being one no matter what happens.  We arrived at our station which happens to be one of the busiest where people can switch to three other metro trains and followed the exit signs.  Once you find your way onto the street then comes that tricky part in deciding which way to travel to get to your destination.  I look on my iphone and start heading towards the next block, when I check my iphone again I realize I had just walked a block in the wrong direction.  Luckily with the iphone it is easy to reroute and go in the right direction.  We received several interesting looks from the other pedestrians around us and even a few comments.  I did not see another child around and I am sure I was quite amusing holding onto each child's hand and trying to look at my phone at the same time, all while crossing the busy streets.

We arrived at the museum and Craig was able to join us about a minute later.  We ate lunch and then walked about the museum for about 20 minutes with Craig then another hour with just the kids and I.  They enjoyed looking at the big airplanes and space shuttles in the air and touching anything with buttons to play with but as far as reading about anything they were not that interested.

The walk back was a lot quicker and easier with access to the metro a lot closer to the museum then where we emerged getting off and the drive back home was quick and easy, only 30 minutes back to the apartment.  Overall I would say and success and something I would like to do a few times a month.  There are so many museums and history that I really want to try to take it all in, even if it has to be an hour at a time with two young children, which is good so next visit I can take my camera and get some better pictures.  My iphone is just not the same.

1 comment: