Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup

One of my favorite things to eat especially when I am sick, or need comfort food or in the middle of winter is my grandmas famous chicken noodle soup.  Unfortunately moving to Virgina there are some brands that I can not get like I could in Utah - creamies, my favorite grandma sycamore's bread, danish dessert, and kluski noodles.  So I had to improvise a bit and use my homemade noodles.  (More to come on homemade bread since I really can't find anything yet that matches grandma sycamores.)  Being the middle of winter and quite cold I decided to make it last night.  

Ingredients
chicken - boiled
noodles - 
homemade or any type of egg noodles, kluski are the best
chicken broth
cream of chicken soup -  
regular size or family size depending on how much you want to make
carrots - 
normally we didn't use carrots but I was trying to be good and add some vegetables



Add the cream of chicken soup to your crockpot or pan and then add some chicken broth, how much broth you add all depends on you and how thick you want the soup to be.  I like a creamier, thicker soup so I use about 1 to 1 1/2 cups.  




Whisk it all together until it is smooth and creamy.

Shred the chicken and pepper it for seasoning and add to the creamy mixture.

The main issue I have with carrots in my soup is that once carrots are cooked they are mushy.   Texture is a really big deal to me when it comes to food.  So I chopped the carrots into pretty small pieces and then just added them to the soup.  They cooked in the crockpot for about an hour on high and that is all.  To me they were perfect, soft but still firm.  My husband though likes them a little more cooked.  If you wanted to cook them a little before hand you certainly could. 
The homemade noodles I only cooked for about a minute and a half.  Approximately half the time you would normally cook your noodles.  They will cook a little in the crockpot and you want them to stay al dente and not too done.  Then add them to the crockpot.   Once everything is added just stir it all up then add more pepper and cook it on high in the crockpot for about an hour.  


Always makes me feel better.  YUMMY!!



1 comment: