Saturday, February 19, 2011

Sewing, Really?

New Years Day is a big day in Delta Utah where I am from.  It is the day when our little fabric shop has a big sale on all fabric and supplies.  This year I was in Delta so I went with my mother and sisters to stand in line for the big open.  I was not planning on buying anything except maybe a quilting book since that is what I have been doing lately and with me moving I wouldn't have my mother there to show me how to do everything.  As I was looking at books though I came across this one and loved it.  Basically it has 4 patterns, one for shirts and dresses, pants and skirts.

I am not sure why since growing up I never liked sewing much but I ended up purchasing it along with some cute fabric with the idea of making my daughter some cute pants and shirts.  I have been excited to get going on it all but with moving I decided packing up the house took priority over my sewing project.  Well now that things are a little more settled I pulled it all out yesterday to start on. 
I quite enjoyed sewing it all and found myself not being able to put it away.  I ended up working quite late and most of the day for two days straight and finished the one pair of pants and shirt with this material.  I was so proud being able to figure out the pattern and how it all went together seeing as how I haven't sewed from a pattern since high school.  I even pulled out the iron to press the seams and hems.  That thud you heard was my mother falling over from shock.  I never use the iron.  I think it all turned out pretty cute and excited to work on another pair of pants and shirt I had bought some material for that same day.
Okay her face doesn't really show it but she does like it.  She loves the ruffles and twirling around in it.  



It also makes me appreciate my mother more.  She sewed outfits for all 4 of her girls and while I said I did enjoy sewing it I don't think I would if I had to do 4 of them.  

1 comment:

  1. Cute! I'm motivated to sew more because my kids get so excited about their homemade clothes.

    ReplyDelete