Monday, February 21, 2011

Camping - well sort of

With all the craziness that's been going on for a while Craig wanted to take a weekend and do something fun with the family.  We decided since he had Presidents Day off that he would take Friday off also and we would have a long weekend to spend.  With the weather being in the 70's a few days before we left, he decided it was time for some camping.  Knowing how February can be with short lived warm weather I looked for KOA's nearby with some cabins.  We found one at Harper's Ferry, West Virginia for a really good deal.  We decided to jump at the opportunity and started the packing.  I packed clothes and some games and fun things to do at the cabin, however was not really thinking actual camping so didn't bring much camping gear.  I also forgot my camera, which I was so sad about, Craig teased me about forgetting it since I always have it around my neck but with my scatterbrain I did forget to grab it.  When we arrived at the cabin we found no bedding - luckily I had brought the kids sleeping bags and a couple of blankets but no pillows.  The cabin did have a light which was good since I packed no flashlight.  We headed to Walmart to pick up a few things and Craig and I were talking about missing our pillows and I mentioned we could buy a couple unless Walmart had $3.00 pillows then we could buy 4 or 5 for us and the kids.  Ironically just as I said that and turned the corner there was a sign for $3.00 pillows.  Yay!!  We bought some firewood and hot chocolate, marshmallows, and chocolate for the kids first experience with smores.  We enjoyed some hiking and discovering the history of Harper's Ferry.  More on that in tomorrow's blog.  The nights did get pretty chilly but with our heater in the cabin we were all toasty and warm.  We really enjoyed a nice long weekend with just our little family and no tv or distractions just games, relaxing and nature.  The perfect way to rejuvenate for the weeks ahead and recovering from the crazy weeks now behind us. 

No comments:

Post a Comment